WP2 – IDENTIFYING THE EMERGENCE OF VALUES OF CULTURE
Work Package Leader: University of Porto
Principal Investigator: Joao Teixeira Lopes
WP2 is aimed at analyzing the emergence of values linked to culture in practical contexts and in the field of cultural policy and cultural administrations.
Specific objectives of WP2
- to identify the plurality of values of culture in cultural participation in live arts and culture
- to identify the plurality of values of culture in cultural participation through media
- to identify the plurality of values of culture in cultural production and heritage management
- to identify the plurality of values of culture in cultural administration
- identify tensions, conflicts and public controversies in these four domains.
Areas of investigation
On one hand, with regard to the practical areas of investigation, the processes of emergence is studied in 4 fundamental structural frameworks:
- the framework of cultural participation of citizenship (in the context of cultural institutions or in other more informal and extensive contexts)
- the framework of specialized cultural production and preservation
- the framework of the new world of digital cultural communication
On the other hand, the inquiry about the emergence of values linked to culture in the field of cultural policy and cultural administrations is focused on the formulation of missions and agendas of objectives:
- Cultural participation and engagement in cultural life and the arts
- New realms for the creation of cultural value: television, social media and internet
- Value configuration in the professional sectors of cultural production and heritage
- Cultural policy perspectives on cultural value
- D2.1 Report on WP2 case studies. Download PDF.
The partner responsible for this deliverable is the University of Porto.
This Deliverable reports, to each of the four thematic areas (Cultural participation in live arts and culture , Cultural participation through media, Cultural production and heritage management, Cultural administration), the criteria mobilized to design the research of the case studies of WP2. The studies take into account the recent and unpredictable pandemic, including in the protocol of the research the new questions concerning the Covid-19 context and the post-pandemic recovery.
- D2.2 Report on the emergence of values in cultural participation and engagement. Download PDF.
This research seeks to identify the plurality of social values of culture and the tensions, conflicts, and public controversies in the “valuation” of cultural participation in live arts and culture, as articulated by the practitioners themselves.
- D2.3 Report on the emergence of values in television and new media. Download PDF.
This report explores the plurality of values attributed to digitally mediated cultural participation, notably, the participation in new media forms, exploring modes of remote cultural participation that are digitally mediated through live stream and teleconferencing platforms.
- D2.4 Report on the emergence of values in cultural production and heritage. Download PDF
This report explores the emergence of values linked to culture production and heritage management. The repertoire of guiding values and the value dynamics in this area depend on the diversity of cultural sectors and the perspective of actors. The investigation was carried out in such a way as to encompass the greates possible diversity of sectors that are characteristically different in terms of their repertoires and dynamics of value.
- D2.5 Mapping of the values of culture in cultural policy objectives. Download PDF
The deliverable examines values in European cultural policies by addressing a set of case studies corresponding to 20 national, regional, and local administrations. The case study analysis aims to identify the plurality of values of culture and their existing tensions within EU cultural administrations.